Sunday, April 12, 2009

Use Teh Tetrahedronal Force

It's my working theory that a 4 sided pyramid is optimal for scanning in Eve due to the angles involved. Eve explorers generally believe that scan results work with the 4 "best" probe locations. We believe that optimal results are about angles. I'm no math expert, but here's what I've come up with.

Angle = Probe1 - Target - Probe2

I'm a new player. In order to understand and feel like I had some kind of handle on how this worked, I began scanning as much as I could with 2 probes and trying to get comfortable with the results I obtained. I found I could discern a lot with a bunch of quick scans using 2 probes. With slight adjustments of just 1 of the 2 probes, I could get a good sense of location.

Feel free to replicate this on your own. Scan a site down and warp to it. Launch (only) 2 probes.

Try to keep the distances between probes and target equal for each angle measurement. I do not believe your skills will significantly impact the pattern of results.

~180 degree angle

Notice that you obtain a very small red circle. Take note of the signal strength, as well.

90 degree angle

Notice that your red circle has grown significantly. Notice the signal strength is weaker.

45 degree angle

Notice that your red circle is huge and the signal is much weaker. As you dip below 45 you'll start getting red spheres and completely useless deviation.


Conclusion: Obtuse Angles Provide Stronger Results Than Acute Angles

Perhaps I'm confusing factors here, but it seems clear to be that when reduced to simple, singular angles that the wider angles win (up to 180). Since Eve seems to look for the best 4 probes, the best 4 angles in producing a result then I would conclude this applies there as well.

The cross/box approach

I've used this a lot. It works ok. Let's look more closely at the acute & right angles involved.


The pyramid/tetrahedron

It's all about the angles. It's also very easy and fast to move around in this formation which gets you vertical reach as well. If your target is roughly in the center of a tetrahedron, I believe that's the optimal signal strength given the various acute angles formed with the probes.

No comments:

Post a Comment